Friday, May 20, 2016

NEW SERIES: Tumwater Chapel of Grace Study for Sunday 05/22/16 Chapter Three: Son To Slave The Pit By Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

PASTOR CECIL A. THOMPSON

Tumwater Chapel of Grace 
Meets each Sunday at 10:00 a.m.
Services are held at  
5725 Littlerock Rd. S.W., 
Tumwater, Washington

NEW SERIES: Tumwater Chapel of Grace Study for Sunday 05/22/16   Chapter Three: Son To Slave The Pit   By Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

THE SCRIPTURE PORTIONS AND DISCUSSION QUESTIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY APPLY TO EACH WEEK’S SERVICE. THEY ARE PRESENTED FOR PREPARATION TO ALLOW THE HOLY SPIRIT TOO DIRECT OUR HEARTS AND MINDS TO SEE WHAT THE LORD WANTS TO SHOW US FROM HIS WORD. IF IT TAKES SEVERAL WEEKS TO COVER ONE VERSE...SO BE IT. IT IS FAR BETTER TO MOVE WITH THE SPIRIT RATHER THAN TRYING TO GET THE SPIRIT TO FOLLOW

Chapter Three   Son To Slave

As I am led from the market area I experience my first taste of slavery. On the caravan I was treated as a friend and companion, even though Abdeel had purchased me from my brothers, they treated me as a friend, not a piece of flesh to be bartered in Egypt.
The strange thing is that I am feeling the hand of God working in my life. This man Master Potiphar, who now owns me, does not seem to be malevolent.  Guards surround me and as I observe people along the street they look at me as if I am a criminal being taken to prison. I hope and pray that will never happen. I am used to being out under the stars and in the open fields with my sheep.
We approach a cluster of buildings on the edge of the city. There are well kept gardens all around the house and fields beyond. I have never seen such a large and magnificent dwelling in my life.
I have no idea what to expect; but I know that I am not alone. The God of my Fathers has brought me to this place. Whatever befalls me, I know that God has a purpose for me being here. I make this commitment to myself and to the God I serve that each and every day I will live for Him to the best of my abilities, and leave the results up to Him.
I am taken to the slave quarters and introduced to the slave master. His name is Menos. He is a stern looking man and speaks in a harsh manner. He demands to know everything about me.
I hold nothing back and tell him about my life in Canaan. I want to be as open as possible so I explained to him about my favored status with my father and the jealousy of my brothers.
I tell him I am lucky to be here since my brothers had planned to kill me, that is until my oldest brother suggested placing me in a pit. I confessed to him how fearful I was in that pit thinking that perhaps I would be left to die of starvation.
I feel impressed to tell him about being sold to the Midianites and how I had come to feel almost a part of Jalam’s family. My mind quickly returns to the pleasant evenings around the campfire when we ate and they laughed as I tried to repeat the Egyptian words.
Menos seems to change. He no longer has the stern look of a slave master. “You mean you actually started to learn our language?” He demands.
He has been speaking to me in his broken Hebrew tongue. He now starts to test me on how many Egyptian words I have learned. He tells me that he has tried to learn as m any languages as possible. 
He holds up an object and asks me to use the Egyptian word for it. Not only that, he hands me a papyrus scroll and pen. I am now being how to write as well as speak in the Egyptian language. When I make a mistake he laughs with delight.  I do not feel he is making fun of me, but rather he is now assuming the role as my instructor.
Reverting back to his broken Hebrew language, he asks what kind of work my family was engaged in. When I explain that we were shepherds and keepers of livestock, he brightens noticeably and immediately leaves me standing alone.
It is only a short time before he returns. He says that he has spoken to Mr. Potiphar. I am to be assigned to care for the sheep and livestock. He goes on to explain that shepherds are abominations to Egyptians. He says I will stay in the pens with the flocks and herds. I will lead them into the fields in order to increase the yield from flock and heard. I will report only to Menos.
As I make my way to the outbuildings where the livestock are kept I am shocked. The buildings are nothing more than make-shift boards held together by wooden pegs. Most are not held together and have fallen to the ground. The animals are in a horrible condition, no better than their enclosures.
The last rays of sunlight are fading and I finally locate a small shed in which to spend the first night as a slave in Egypt. Menos must not be too concerned about my escaping as he leaves me on my own.
My eyes lift to the sky and I see the first stars begin to appear. I am drawn ever more to believe that all of this is no accident. God has placed me in this place for His purpose. All I need to do is keep my eyes on Him.
I must keep reminding myself that I am not Master Potiphar’s slave. I am God’s slave, and I must answer to Him for my actions.
God of my fathers, I lift this prayer to You. Thank You for bringing me to the place You want me to be. Potiphar has purchased me and thinks he owns me, but I want to be Your slave. My desire is to always live and behave in a manner that is pleasing in Your sight.  I will never do anything that is displeasing to You. Let me have a mind that is controlled by You. Blessed be Your name. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment